Water Valve Repairs in Calgary
Water valve issues may seem like minor plumbing events but the results can be anything but minor.
If a simple valve is worn out and needs replacing, it can create a serious situation that can lead to water damage in your home or business if not rectified quickly.
Many problems can be avoided by simply observing your water system and catching problems early before they develop into such emergencies.
If the water valves in your Calgary, AB, home need repairing or replacing, it’s a job for a professional. The experienced plumbers at Alpha Plumbing can help you whether you’re in an emergency or you want to prevent future issues with your water system.
Our expert plumbers use the most up-to-date plumbing technology and provide reliable and affordable plumbing services to Calgary properties.
What Is a Water Valve?
Most homeowners in Calgary don’t have to think much about their water valves. The valves sit there and do their job, ensuring that water flows when turned on and doesn’t flow when turned off . . . or regulating the flow of the water.
When there is a problem with a water valve, the entire system may malfunction. You may notice a problem with the hot water, cold water, ground water, potable water, salt water, and/or wastewater. All of these are controlled by water valves.
Water valves are small mechanical devices that open to permit water flow and shut to prevent it. They may partially or completely block a pipe and change the flow of water that passes through it. When they’re working fine, you don’t even notice they’re there!
For instance, when you brush your teeth, you turn on the faucet. You only see the faucet handle but inside the faucet mechanism, a small water valve opens to allow high-pressure water to escape from the water pipes.
If your house is suffering from rusty, stuck, or broken water valves, you need a skilled and certified technician. Contact Alpha Plumbing in Calgary at 403-470-5785 for an honest assessment from a qualified technician.
We can repair most water valve problems and will advise you if new parts are needed.
What Types of Valves Do We Repair and Replace?
Valves may be small devices but they are surprisingly varied and specific to different types of water systems.
The most common valve types that we repair and replace in Calgary are the following:
- Gate Valves
- Ball Valves
- Globe Valves
- Backwater Valves
- Shutoff Valves
- Cheque Water Valves
- Pressure Relief Water Valves
Tips for Water Valve Installation and Repair
Unless you’re a trained plumber, it’s best not to attempt water valve repair or installation in your home. Call an experienced plumber to handle the situation. That said, it doesn’t hurt to know a few of the tips that the professionals use when installing and repairing valves:
- Water valves can be installed in any orientation but it is usually best to install them upright to access the hand wheel easier.
- Before installing a gate valve, cheque the seat and disc to ensure there has been no damage in transit.
- Once the welding has been done, ensure the flange has cooled to room temperature before installing a gate valve.
- Ensure that the water pipe is free of welding residue, waste, rust and other debris before installing it by washing it with water or a mild detergent.
- Ensure that the flange is in good condition and the gate valve is properly aligned to it.
- After installation, test the valve by turning it on and off several times to ensure it has not moved during the installation process.
- One of the most common problems with water valves is the misalignment between the valve and the flange/pipe. To prevent this from causing problems, you might need to provide support for the valve.
When Should You Use Your Water Shut-Off Valves?
Every homeowner in Calgary should know where the main water shut-off valves are located—and when to use them.
A few occasions when you may need to leap into action and turn the water off are:
- In a plumbing emergency, such as a burst pipe or water pooling somewhere from an unknown leak
- Appliances or fixtures are leaking
- Appliances or fixtures are being repaired
- New appliances or fixtures are being installed
- You will be away from home on vacation for an extended period
- Your plumber advises you to turn off the water until they can fix the problem
- If you have performed some troubleshooting and still don’t know what the problem is, shut off your valves and call one of our expert plumbers…
Water Valve Repairs and Replacement in Calgary
All plumbing work is covered by our one-year guarantee for parts and labour.
We frequently install products from these companies:
WHY CHOOSE Alpha Plumbing
PROFESSIONAL, COURTEOUS TECHNICIANS
Our certified technician Calgary plumbers are not your stereotypical sloppy, unkempt plumbers from days past. Our team takes pride in showing up at your house or place of business in a clean uniform, ready to tackle your plumbing and heating issues. We treat your home with caution and respect, ensuring a friendly, positive experience.
CUSTOMER SERVICE WITH A PERSONAL TOUCH
Our Alpha Plumbing team deals directly with each and every one of our valued customers, making ourselves available for constant communication. Our personal, individualized service approach leaves our customers feeling connected and well taken care of. In short, we listen to your needs and will not rest until you are satisfied.
35+ YEARS OF COMBINED EXPERIENCE AT YOUR DISPOSAL
Alpha Plumbing’s president, Dan Di Lembo, possesses over a decade of professional trade experience from resolving issues both big and small. Whatever your specific situation may be, chances are we have the experience to find the solution.
We work with you to find products and solutions that fit your individual style and budget. We make sure our rates are competitive, ensuring our customers receive both a high-quality and high-value experience.
LICENSED, CERTIFIED, AND INSURED TECHS
You can rest easy knowing that the job is getting done with licensed, certified, and insured expert precision.
CONTACT YOUR LOCAL TRUSTED PLUMBERS AT ALPHA
Our technicians can service any commercial or residential plumbing need quickly and efficiently.