Tips for Saving Money on Home Heating
If you are like others in the Calgary area, your home heating bill takes up around 30 percent of your monthly energy costs. Depending on the size of your home, that can add up to a lot of money being spent each month to keep your family warm. The good news is that there are some things you can do to help lower that bill each month.
Here are some tips for saving money on your home heating bill:
- Make sure your heating system is being maintained. A poorly maintained heating system will cost you more per month to run than one that is well maintained. Keeping it in good working order is your first priority for a lower bill.
- Check the filter regularly and be sure to change and keep it clean, so that the system can work efficiently. Determine how often yours needs to be serviced and put a reminder on your calendar so that you keep up on this task.
- At night, opt for using an extra blanket rather than turning the heat up. The blanket will keep people warmer, while turning the heat up will warm up the whole house. This can make a big difference in your bill each month. During the day, keep the heat turned down low as well, opting for a sweater if it’s chilly in the home.
- Add a ceiling fan to your living room and bedroom and put it on low. This will help to push warm air down from the ceiling.
- Be sure that there are no drafty areas that are allowing cold air in, such as through basements, attics, and garage doors. If this is happening, fix it by putting something there to stop the draft.
Each of these tips will help you to save money on your home heating bills. If you do them all, you will see an even greater reduction in your bill each month. At Alpha Plumbing we can help by making sure your heating system is efficient and in good working order. We have helped many people in the Calgary area. Call us today to schedule an inspection: (403)-589-7843.